Saturday, November 1, 2008

My Unexpected College Career

by Zack Kinslow

As an advertising major working in public relations, I have found the best way to learn is by doing. Just like when I unexpectedly became a bartender on one frantic Thanksgiving Eve—the busiest bar night of the year—I jumped right into this one and hit the ground running. I can’t say I didn’t spill a few drinks, make people’s Long Island Iced Teas too strong, or even ring up the wrong prices on more than one occasion that night. But my mistakes helped me grow.

Let’s go back to the present. I currently make up half of the PR department at Philly’s largest advertising agency, Digitas Health. And I love it. I work directly with the head of Corporate Communications for both the Philadelphia and New York offices, which includes about 400 employees (and growing). Working on such a large scale in a top interactive agency, I’ve certainly gotten my feet wet.

From compiling media lists and writing pitch letters, to planning special events hosted at our office, Digitas Health allows me to get first-hand experience in media relations and external PR. I also handle internal relations, such as clipping articles about the company and sending them to all employees. One of my ongoing projects is to decide on the best promotional items to print our logo on for employee/client giveaways. When you are dealing with this many employees, even the seemingly mundane tasks become significant.

Public relations may not be the exact career I want to pursue after college, but coming from an advertising standpoint, I find my internship experience invaluable. As the industry evolves and the digital age takes over, the lines that used to divide PR and advertising are blurring. The result: marketing communication, which encompasses all that we learn in this field.

Zack Kinslow is president of the award-winning Rowan Ad Club at Rowan University.

Zack's internship has helped him see how public relations and advertising professionals work together, and sometimes even do the same tasks. How has your internship effected your outlook on work after college?

No comments: